Seen today’s Google doodle? It’s pretty awesome:
It’s a homage to The Wizard of Oz, as today is the 71st anniversity of the movies theatrical release. Though not a best picture winner (it was nominated, but lost in 1939 to Gone with the Wind), this is still one of the greatest movies of all time, and one I personally can watch over and over again!
- The film won two Oscars for best original score and best original song, and was nominated for best art direction, best cinematography and best effects.
- The musical Wicked is based on the Witches of Oz. It’s essentially a back story to The Wizard of Oz, and shows the Wicked Witch of the West is a positive light.
- The tornado was a 35-foot-long muslin stocking, spun around among miniatures of a Kansas farm and fields in a dusty atmosphere.
- Baum thought up the name for Oz when looking at his filing cabinets, organised A-N and O-Z.
- Jell-O crystals were stuck over all the horses in the Emerald City palace to lend them their colour. The scenes were shot speedily, before the horses began to lick them off.